You can make this delicious coffee cake in about 8 minutes work time and 30 minutes baking. The result is great just a few minutes out of the oven. Warm coffeecake with a slightly melted brown sugar topping. Add the nuts or not as you like.
- 1 ½ cups sifted flour (Easier to weigh out 189 grams.)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tsp melted butter
- 1 egg
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Brown sugar topping
- ½ cup chopped pecans or walnuts
- Preheat the oven to 375° F.
- Weigh out 189 g of flour: no need to sift it. ( A cup of sifted flour weighs 126g, so 1 ½ cups weighs 189 g)
- Mix the baking powder, soda and salt into the flour and stir it a bit.
- Melt the butter in the microwave for 1 minute at 50% power.
- In a mixing bowl, add the egg, melted butter and sugar and mix with a whisk
- Add the sour cream and vanilla and mix.
- Add the flour mixture and mix until uniform.
- Spray a 9” square pan with cooking spray and pour in the batter.
- Decorate with topping and nuts.
- Bake at 375° F for about 30 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow the coffeecake to cool for 5 minutes, and then cut into 9 squares. Lift out and serve.
Brown sugar topping
- 2 Tb softened butter
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 2 Tb flour
- 1//2 tsp cinnamon
Mix the butter into the sugar and flour using a pastry blender or a couple of forks, until more or less uniform. It can still be lumpy.
Sprinkle over the top of the batter.
This recipe can easily be doubled for a larger crowd. It’s great for a quick company or holiday breackfast!