There’s really not much to making buttermilk biscuits, and they make a great breakfast by themselves or with eggs. You probably have all the ingredient on hand. If you don’t have any buttermilk, you can make your own in 5 minutes using milk and lemon juice or vinegar, as they show here.
To make your biscuits, heat your oven to 450° F, and mix up the dough while the oven heats.
- 2 cups flour
- 3 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1/3 cup shortening or butter
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Mix the flour, baking powder, soda and salt in a medium bowl.
2. Add the shortening and cut in with a pastry blender or two forks.
3. Add the buttermilk and mix briefly with a fork.
4. Combine the down better using your hands.
5. Roll out the down about ¾ inch thick.
6. Cut into biscuits using a cookie cutter or a drinking glass.
7. Place the biscuits on an ungreased cookie sheet, and bake for 10 minutes at 450° F.
Remove from the oven and serve hot, with plenty of butter.