Well, it had to happen. Kale and quinoa have taken over the island’s restaurants.
Some of this is caused by the new “restaurant,” Lemon Press, which has taken “Fresh, organic and healthy” to new sweet and lows. Only one of these three adjectives has an actual meaning! They serve a number of incoherent smoothies, my favorite in incoherence is the TB12, with “blueberries, banana, almond milk, almond butter, flax seeds, chia seeds, hemp seeds, vegan protein.” Oy. They also offer acai bowls which have no real benefit and the Vegan Brekky, made up of “lentil veggie cake, greens, avocado, tomato, muhammara,” the point at which we realize they are speaking some other language entirely.
Looking through the Nantucket Restaurant Guide, you will find all sorts of menuish obfuscations such as
- Shrimp Shumai : Asian dumpling with ohitashi, scallion and shoyu (at the late, lamented Atlas)
- Seared Local Cod: Red quinoa, roasted cauliflower, harissa béarnaise, cucumber raita and cilantro (Black Eyed Susan’s)
- Blue corn sopes, ancho chili pork, cotija cheese, avocado, radish sprouts, strained kefir (Galley Beach)
- Organic Coffee and Tea: with raw sugar, agave, organic creamers (dairy and non-dairy) (The Green)
- Cavendish Quali: Green Freekh Tabbouleh, Aged Balsamic (Le Languedoc)
- Cali Power Breakfast: Organic egg, cheddar cheese, spinach, avocado, tomato on a 7-grain bag. (Lemon Press)
- Asian Foot Long Wagyu Dog: wasabi aioli, cucumber, pickled carrot, cilantro, jalapeno, nori, fries (Met on Main. Aw, come on!)
- Razor Clam Garganeli: choriço and chopped clam Bolognese, sweety drop peppers, stinging nettle pasta, onion cream. (Oran Mor)
- Quail “Tikka Masala”: Cous cous, honey, cashews, raita. (Proprietors)
- Wood-grilled softshell crab: asparagus mimosa and sauce gribiche. (Straight Wharf)
- Caesar: Grilled bread croutons, baby romaines, parmigiano, boquerones. (Summer House)
- Carnaroli Risotto “Fruits de Mer”: Red rock crab, Judith Point squid, uni, bottarga, brown butter. (Toppers).
- Spaghetti alle vongole: house spaghetti, littleneck clams, braised allium and house made n’duja. (Ventuno)
- Acai Bowl: Frozen organic acai puree, fresh mixed berries, banana, granola, coconut flake. (Yummy)
Ok, now all of these are (mostly) credible restaurants serving good to excellent food. But look, people, ”Organic” is a marketing term with no health or nutrition benefits, and there is no evidence that acai berries have any health (or weight loss) benefits. And confusing diners with trendy terms is funny, but not very evocative. And raw sugar is still sugar! And so is agave.
Photos from some of these restaurants
Ocean trout Toppers Kimchi, Proprietors
Eggs Benedict ..Blackeyed Susans Scallops…Galley Beach
Cod ..Le Languedoc Beet rosace..Oran Mor
Flounder… Summer House Meatballs…Ventuno