We ordered a club sandwich at our hotel in Rome and were really surprised with their interpretation. Instead of 3 kinds of lunch meat (usually turkey, beef and ham) this delicious sandwich was a BLT with large chunks of tender chicken and topped with a fried egg. Served with French fries, it was a fantastic lunch!
We set out to duplicate it using a fresh garden tomato and freshly picked lettuce.
- 3 slices toasted bread
- Chicken breasts
We cooked the chicken breasts in our Instant Pot for 10 minutes, and let them slowly cool for 10 minutes before opening the pot. You could also cook them in a vegetable steamer or under a broiler. We added a bit of dried onion to the cup of water in the Instant Pot, but it probably wasn’t necessary.
When the breasts were cool, we cut them into cubes.
We fried 4 strips of bacon slowly in a fry pan and set them aside.
For each sandwich,
- butter the toast.
- Put lettuce and tomato on the bottom layer, with a dab of mayonnaise
- Put chicken on the second layer of toast, and dab with more mayonnaise
- Add the bacon on top of the chicken
Fry 2 eggs slowly in the bacon fat, turning them over once so the tops are cooked and the yolks are only slightly runny.
- Top each sandwich with an egg and the top piece of toast.
- Secure with toothpicks.
- You can cut off the crusts before or after assembly or just leave them on.
- Cut each sandwich in half.
We served ours with some French fries.